Badminton, South Gloucestershire
A classic Grade II* Listed 17th century house, beautifully decorated, in a peaceful setting overlooking its famous garden and surrounded by The Badminton Estate.
The first recorded mention of Lyegrove was more than three hundred years ago by Sir Robert Atkyns in his ‘The Ancient and Present state of Gloucestershire’. The history of Lyegrove begins in the early part of the 17th century with the erection of a manor house that was to be altered and added to over the subsequent years to produce the Lyegrove of today.
The earliest documented mention of the name Lyegrove occurs in 1470. The house in its present form, was built in the early reign of James I, with later changes around 1728. It is believed the carved fireplace in the drawing room was installed at this time.
The Hartley family in 1830 set about a major programme of restoration. Long sashed windows replaced mullioned windows giving the main reception rooms the undoubted elegance that is much appreciated today. The low east wing that had been introduced in the middle of the 18th century was altered with the building of domestic offices
By 1856, they completed their building works with the construction of a classic stable block, to the east of the house, as required by a fashionable household of the time.
The property later became part of the adjoining Badminton Estate and it was from the 9th Duke of Beaufort that the 14th Earl and Countess of Westmorland purchased Lyegrove in 1926. The Westmorlands proceeded to carry out extensive improvements. A porch, copied from another family property, was built to give the house interest and relief. New down-pipes were added and shields containing the Westmorland crest and coronet were mounted on each of the four gables.
A new oak staircase was designed at the west end incorporating some old newel posts which had survived. The gardens have received wide acclaim in publications like ‘Great Gardens of Britain’ and have achieved an international reputation as a result of their beauty. They have been described as “a garden laid out like a Persian carpet”.
The current owners have continued this fine tradition and the gardens and house have an elegancy and beauty seldom seen.
The house is approached through fine gates with ball capped stone piers, past the lodge and along a half mile long avenue of beech and lime trees. The drive ends, just short of the house, by a grass forecourt leading to an elaborate stone porch with pillars and moulding. This leads to the panelled front door with fanlight window above.
Arranged around a central courtyard, the house, makes for a very easy property to navigate with the principal reception rooms all leading from one to another and all of which are very light, being south facing and spacious.
The first floor follows a similar layout to the ground floor and along with the principal bedroom suite which consists
of a bathroom, shower room and dressing room there are five further bedroom suites along with a magnificent library.
The second floor is well laid out as either a self-contained or further bedrooms. To the north of the Courtyard on the ground floor is a further self-contained one-bedroom flat which can either be additional guest suite or staff flat.
From London take the M4 to Junction 18 and join the A46(T) north-bound signed to Stroud. After about 2 miles, turn right at the traffic lights by the Cross Hands Hotel and onto the B4040, signed to Malmesbury. The lodge and the entrance to the drive will be seen on the left hand side after about 1 mile.
Lyegrove occupies a fine rural setting with far reaching views predominantly to the southeast. The nearby thriving town of Chipping Sodbury which is about 3 miles away has several local shops. The larger centres of Tetbury, Malmesbury and Bath provide more comprehensive shopping facilities. The railway stations at Chippenham and Bath only 12 miles away provide fast rail services to Paddington in 67 and 75 minutes respectively.
The house is exceptionally well placed for communications to the motorway network with the M4 (Junction 18) only about 3 miles away providing fast access to Bristol and London and the M5 giving easy access to Birmingham and the Midlands.